Reply by Peoplesmart

Hello Ms. Marshall,

Thank you for your recent correspondence to PissedConsumer.com dated January 18, 2016. Your concerns were forwarded to PeopleSmart.com for review and response.

I apologize for any misunderstanding as to the membership package purchased. During the visit to the website on October 3, 2014, two different memberships were started. One was a monthly unlimited search membership and the other was a 30 day free trial of IdentitySmart. The IdentitySmart membership was canceled online on October 3, 2014 but the unlimited search membership was not canceled. The membership continued to automatically renew every month. We do itemize the purchases on the website during the checkout process and in the confirmation email that is sent immediately after purchase. In addition, we list our phone number on the credit card statement every month so customers can contact us if they are charged and do not wish to continue the service. Had we been contacted sooner, we would have been able to prevent further billing.

I do understand that you were not aware that you had enrolled in the two memberships. I have canceled your unlimited search membership and issued four refunds for $19.95 for order number 614134838. In our Terms of Use, we do state that all sales are final after 60 days. However, in this case, we have extended our policy and issued refunds for all charges which have occurred within the last 120 days. The refunds will process immediately through our system. However, your financial institution may require up to 7 business days of additional processing time before they are reflected in your account balance.

I appreciate you contacting us so we could address your concerns. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us directly at 1-888-813-0008.

Sincerely,
Susie L.
Member Services Representative
Author's
Cheyenne, Wyoming

Update by user Jan 20, 2016

What is unethical about this practice is (a) enrolling participants in TWO separate services on the sly and (b) only canceling ONE when customers are clearly attempting to sever ties with/cancel all services.Additionally, every other service (student loans, credit cards, etc.) send monthly billing statements to customer's email to remind/provide record of upcoming bills and withdrawals from one's checking account.

A thorough perusal of my email accounts (b/c I save everything) demonstrates that Peoplesmart NEVER sent any such emails. Ever. Even my spam/promotions folder is holding onto stuff from the past few months, and there was nothing.

Therefore, refunding four months is a hollow gesture at best, considering that they charged me for 16 months, when only ONE of those months were what I wanted (and assumed) I paid for.

Given how many complaints similar to mine that I've found on this site and others, it's clear that this company is engaged in non-ethical business practices and that it will continue to do so.

Original review posted by user Jan 18, 2016

In October of 2014 I purchased the $19.95 for a month of background checks and cancelled within days.I have never had any record of emails from PeopleSearch at all...yet they have somehow been charging me.

I'd NEVER ordered (or wanted) Identity Smart, and yet a perusal of this site shows that others who have had the same issue are being told they cancelled Identity Smart and not the former. This is utter and complete garbage and a scam.

They've STOLEN close to $300 from me and I'm definitely pissed.

I'm contesting these charges with my bank and reporting this organization to both my state's consumer advocacy group, FTC, as well as the BBB.

Reason of review: continued to charge me after cancellation; never processed cancellation. .

I didn't like: Unauthorized billing, 240 dollar free trial.

Had an Experience with Peoplesmart?

Peoplesmart Most Helpful Reviews